Sunday 23 December 2018

references - Examples of GIS projects gone wrong?



I would like to know some examples of GIS projects that have gone wrong.


i.e. Bad decisions would/were made, based upon the GIS output from that project.


I am not looking at naming and shaming anyone, so if it is a company you have worked for, please keep any names out of it, and disguise the story where necessary. I am sure there must be quite a few major public examples?


e.g. A disaster mgmt project, gone wrong due to bad or out-of-date data.


I admit, it is a fairly subjective question with no right answer. Therefore, I will let the votes do the talking, and if someone could convert to c-wiki if need be.


Personally, I will get great benefit from this, and I will be passing the examples on when teaching GIS.



Answer



Not really a full-blown GIS projects, but interesting example of situation when spatial aspects were not handled correctly.



Economist's 'North Korea missile threat' first looked like:


wrong


Whereas in reality should look like:


correct


Readers quickly pointed mistake and Economist admitted it and posted correction.


(via Spatial Analysis blog)


Edit: Some more info about the problem from ArcUser Online.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...