Friday 25 August 2017

qgis to local postgis connection - fails


It seems pretty clear I cannot connect to a local postgresql installation out of QGIS. This is my first experience with PostGIS. I am using PostgreSQL 9.0 on a win7 machine. I can see the successful installation of Postgresql and the postgis database in both PGAdmin and NaviCat. I have added a user account in PGAdmin which is not a superuser (meaning I believe I have dealt with the issues discussed at http://pgsnake.blogspot.com/2010/07/postgresql-passwords-and-installers.html).



Has something changed on QGIS 1.7?


After I choose to Add Postgis Layer, I specify a new connection which resembles my configuration and is consistent with http://www.gistutor.com/quantum-gis/20-intermediate-quantum-gis-tutorials/34-working-with-your-postgis-layers-using-quantum-gis-qgis.html and the Linfinity blog. I have toggled SSL mode after reading http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/Postgis-SSL-connection-td2037146.html.


The failure in the test connection leads to "ERROR:service file "/etc/pg_service.conf" not found".


Has anyone got some more positive experience with PostgreSQL, QGIS and Win7?



Answer



The service parameter in the QGIS/PostGIS dialog should be empty. And I spent a bit of time killing the user account "postgres" in windows and removing the names of the databases which are created in the windows registry. After that I could repeatedly fail the dialog by having something in the service parameter of the QGIS Postgis connection dialog.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...