Wednesday 30 August 2017

performance - Tuning PostGIS for production environments?



What PostGIS documentation have you come across that has been helpful when tuning PostGIS for a production environment?


I would like to get together with my DBA to setup a Postgresql/PostGIS installation that is fit for production. I have read that there is some tweaking involved to achieve this, and I was hoping to find the answer on the refractions web site.


So far I have found some documents on the OpenGeo site helpful, like this one.



And this old forum post is the kind of information I have found helpful, this is probably just basic DB stuff but to me its good stuff.


I would be interested to see what resources have helped others in achieving a stable production installation of PostGIS.



Answer



Since Postgis is a component of Postgres I would recommend this great book (I own it and I found it extremely valuable) on Postgres performance tuning:


http://www.packtpub.com/postgresql-90-high-performance/book


It starts from the basics (planning the hardware, os, etc) and then grows into explaining all those misterious configuration params that I never knew how to tune before. After that it shows how to analyze slow queries, explains how the optimizer works, how to monitor general database activity and find bottlenecks.


The author is a postgres developer so he really knows what he's talking about and the book has been also praised from the development group.


The book is focused on version 9 but it always says when a solution applies or not and with which differences to prior versions (down to 8.0, if I recall correctly).


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...