Monday 25 July 2016

clip - Create Polygon from holes in polygon ArcGIS


I have a polygon feature class with holes in it, which I'll refer to as Polygon 1:



enter image description here


I wish to create a polygon set of circles/clipped circles that are the holes as denoted 1->6 below. I believe I could accomplish this with the Clip tool and use of an overlaying polygon with the hole deleted, specifically this polygon, which I'll refer to as Polygon 2:


enter image description here


My understanding of the clip tool is that then I need to clip Polygon 2 by Polygon 1 leaving only the circles/clipped circles 1->6. As such I ran the Clip tool with the following inputs:


Input Features = Polygon2


Clip Features = Polygon1


I did not get the expected output, but rather a replica of Polygon1, see here:


enter image description here


I also tried reversing the inputs, the result is exactly the same.


What is the error in my understanding or my approach?




Answer



You should have used the ERASE (or difference) tool to obtain the holes:


inputFeature = Polygon 2
eraseFeature = Polygon 1

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/tools/coverage-toolbox/erase.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...