Saturday 30 July 2016

arcgis online - Creating simple maps to view on Mobile devices?



My organization wants to create a few maps that will be interactive and viewable via phones (android, iphones,etc) and ipads.


We already have a solution using Geocortex (Silverlight) for browser which cannot display on most devices. I've been looking into HTML5, Javascript and ArcGIS Online.


What I need is something that displays nicely for mobile use and that is easy to set up. Looking at Javascript is slightly intimidating to me and ArcGIS Online maps don't display well in the phone's browser.


I do not come from a Comp Sci or development background so if there's already an existing interface that makes it easily to display for mobile I'd prefer that rather than messing with code. The map would contain point features with hopefully a pop-up containing a picture and a short description of the property.


I'm pretty computer savvy but I'd like this to be as painless as possible.


Are there any other interfaces that exist that make this easier?


The mobile map will be only for viewing purposing, no editing or capture.



I'm open to looking at other platforms outside of ArcGIS as well.


As an added bonus (but not mandatory), I've been looking into Story Maps and plan on using one in the future, specifically the Short List. However, I don't see this working out for a mobile device as its very picture heavy and would crowd the display. If anyone has any other alternative ideas I'm open to them!


I've been looking at Leaflet and Mapbox as a possible solution for mobile use - there is plenty of documentation - but still a lot of code!


For now we've gained access to HTML5 viewer for geocortex and will be using it for our mobile sites. If there are any other alternatives I haven't already listed above - that are about on-par with ArcGIS Online for ease of use for non-programmers, I would be interested to hear about them.



Answer



You're right to look into Mapbox, despite not having a Computer Science background. Mapbox has a utility called TileMill which is essentially a web map development studio that has a familiar GIS-like interface. It is based in Javascript, but is designed to make development easy for non-developers. It gives you all of the code as well, though you may or may not actively use it.


https://www.mapbox.com/tilemill/


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...