Sunday 25 February 2018

qgis - Find maximum radius of circle that will fit within an irregular polygon?



I have a problem which I think could be handled by using the Zonal Geometry tool in the ArcGIS Spatial Analyst toolbox. However I do not have a license for Spatial Analyst, so I am searching for an alternative; possibly using QGIS.


How do I find the maximum radius of a circle that will fit within an irregular polygon?


Note the polygon could be either a convex or concave hull (as shown below) and the solution must address both.




I tried Joseph's solution but unfortunately the result is not what I was looking for.


First, I do have very irregular polygons like this one:


my Polygon


If I follow Joseph's description the result looks like this:


result


This is for sure the result following that solution, but it is not the answer of my question.



Important for me is to answer the question how large the radius of a circle can be in maximum so that the circle is still completely inside the polygon, regardless of where the centre of the circle is.


For example, there is much more space in the north of the polygon, so that there can be placed a much larger circle than in the south of the polygon. But how large can this circle be?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...