Friday 23 February 2018

Georeferencing vector PDF/SVG/DXF linework using QGIS?




I want to create a small web application to visualize election results on a per poll site basis for my city. The result is going to be very similar to what has been done for Berlin here. Hopefully this helps in understanding what I'm going for.


The election raw data on the scale I need is published and I know how to visualize this on the grounds of a shapefile with separate polygons lining out the election districts. My problem is - as you could probably guess - that something like this doesn't already exist.


What actually is published though, is a PDF file lining out the borders of the districts I'm interested in: http://muenster.de/stadt/stadtplanung/pdf/a3_stimmbezirk.pdf


I'm not keen on redrawing the linework myself, so I'm looking for a way to make a shapefile out of this. Luckily, the PDf includes the linework as separate vector objects, I extracted these into a SVG file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bn7698yrdh5tdqj/a3_stimmbezirk_ungrouped.svg


I already tried converting the SVG to a DXF and importing it into qgis 2.0.1. This actually works, but (as expected) places the vectors in the atlantic ocean and I can't find a way to edit it and fix this.


What can I do now to georeference these vectors with open source tools and finally produce a shapefile?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...