Wednesday 31 January 2018

qgis - Which CRS to use for Google Maps?


I am trying to map a Shapefile (download) onto a Google Map using the Javascript API. The Shapefile describes the boundaries of NYC School Districts.


The file's projection was Lambert Conformal Conic, and so I tried to convert it to Google Mercator using QGIS. However, the coordinates still don't make sense. When I map the polygons, they cover all of Earth.


For example, one of the impossible points that I get is -8240484.27362, 4961069.9502.


How can I properly convert my Shapefile to an acceptable format?



Answer



It's true that Google uses Google Mercator (EPSG:3857 or EPSG:900913) for displaying, but I think you/the Javascript API want lat/lon coordinates for input.


So convert the data into EPSG:4326, and look if it fits.


You can load the shapefile into QGIS, and use Openlayers plugin with Google or Openstreetmap background to check if the transformation is correct.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...