Tuesday 16 January 2018

open source gis - Alternatives to Network Analyst



I'm not sure how reasonable this question even is, but it leaves me no less curious after a bit of searching. If I am looking to build a network based on road features and attributes, is Network Analyst my best bet? Is it my only bet? The world of FOSS (Free and Open Source) is new and exciting to me, but I find it difficult to navigate as a newbie. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


My intended uses would include tracing the network, finding intersecting features at given locations along the network, and creating network decision rules for route creation.


Edit: Answers so far have been great, but could anyone share their personal experiences and preferences as far as routing interfaces are concerned?




Answer



If you are mostly interested in traversal/routing, go with pgRouting.


If you don't find what you need to do there, networkx has a freakishly large number of algorithms for graphs and now loads shapefiles out-of-the-box using OGR.


nx_spatial extends networkx in some minor ways mostly related to utility networks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...