Wednesday 17 January 2018

How to a sync file geodatabase across multiple office locations?



I am planning to have a work project with multiple file geodatabases, fgdb (consisting of images, grids, feature class, etc) and these will be passed along to three regional offices and will sit on their individual file servers (all servers are linked via distributor file system). And I was told that I can set them up to sync up during the after office hours.


There will be a "parent" fgdb which is sitting in my office and the rest are "child" databases. Of course, this will bring more complex questions, but allow me to ask below questions first.



  1. Do I need any add-on to do it?

  2. If no, where do I set this up?

  3. Will Symantec back up which run at night be affected or affecting this sync?

  4. Is there a way to bring non-ESRI files into fgdb ? (eg. .xls, .dat etc)


FYI. All users, are on 9.3.1 , with ArcMap only, without other ESRI products.



Answer




In alternative there is rsync. Rsync is generally more efficient because it will only replicate files which have changed, greatly reducing the time required for a backup after a baseline has been established. For instance, after the first LOOOONG sync, I can now backup my home directory (around 190GB) in less than 10 minutes.


Rsync could be a little more complicated to set up (at least on Windows) but should be more efficient in the long run. Rsync for windows is available through cygwin or one of the links on the wikipedia page.


UPDATE


Added a link to my post where I describe how to build a minimal (5M) rsync dist for Windows.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...