Tuesday 23 January 2018

ArcGIS 10.0/arcpy: How to create a polygon geometry from inner and outer ring point arrays?


I have two arrays, each containing a closed ring of points, one for an outer ring and the other for an inner ring, the latter running counterclockwise, of course. I am using the arcpy.Polygon() factory function to build the polygon. My question: how do I input the points to Polygon()?


Documentation gives the general syntax as Polygon(inputs, spatial reference, has_Z, has_M). The inputs part is what is sketchy. The inputs supposedly can be point objects or arrays. My problem is that I have a polygon with a doughnut hole. I can build a simple polygon with a single point array as input ... no problem; however, in what way do I add the two sets of points? In the "Reading Geometries" help page it says that parts (in this case rings) are separated by a null point object. For polygons with holes, the outer ring goes first. So, I tried adding the outer array then the inner array to a container array. That didn't work: no hole. I tried the same thing with a null point object between them. No joy: same result. Then, I tried putting both arrays into a Python list as the input. That threw an error. The sample scripts in the help files never deal with writing polygons with holes. So, I really don't know what format to use for the inputs. Does anyone have any insight into this one? I would surely appreciate the help. Thanks, all.



Answer



Creating donut polygons was discussed on in this link with a python code example (for use in ArcMap). The trick being to add a null point between the list of coordinates between the outer and inner ring. Note, the outer ring points are clockwise and the inner ring points are counterclockwise.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...