Sunday 20 January 2019

geojson - Coordinates remain very high when converting projections



I have this GeoJSON file which uses the following projection: EPSG:28992. I want to convert this to EPSG:3857 but I don't have GIS software available. I have tried ogre, but when I first convert it to a shapefile and then back to GeoJSON using the aforementioned projections, it still shows coordinates with extremely high numbers (476628.5890141478,6820821.561640609 etc). The same applies when I try converting it using reproject.


In both cases when I try loading the converted files into geojson.io it fails -- it doesn't show on the map. In EPSG:3857, I'm expecting something like 4.30, 52.08 instead of coordinates that are in the hundreds of thousands.


Any idea what I am doing wrong or how to get the right values?



Answer



You will have to reproject your file to EPSG:4326 (latitudes and longitudes) if you want to see it in geojson.io.


EPSG:3857 is not a coordinate system that uses longitudes and latitudes. It is a projected coordinate system using meters as units. Coordinates in EPSG:3857 can go up to about 20,000,000.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...