Thursday 30 August 2018

coordinate system - Mapping Russia - Int'l dateline splitting polygon


I am having the issue where the International Dateline is splitting a polygon I am working with. I have a layer of the "Federal Districts" of Russia, and the eastern most federal district is being "cut" by the international dateline.


I currently have the data frame's coordinate system set to Asia Lambert Conformal Conic and this places the two "cut" polygons next to each other (how they should be). I really need the polygon to not be cut and show as a continuous polygon.


I've researched up and down, tried changing the projection/coordinate system, but with no luck.


I've attached a screenshot of the one multi-part polygon that is being split by the international dateline. I would like it so that there is no cutting of the polygon, and therefore no boundary line going through the polygon.


I've even tried transforming this multi-part polygon into separate, single-part polygons, then merge them back together, but anytime any part of any polygon crosses this line, it gets cut.



Layout View:


russia issue


Data View: enter image description here



Answer



If you reproject the polygon data to Asia Lambert Conic (not just On-the-fly, but really reprojecting all vertex coordinates into a new file), you can dissolve the polygons by a common attribute.


This should remove the common border line. If it does not work in first run, have a closer look at the border line. There may be a small gap after the reprojection, if the border does not share the same vertices. Snapping before dissolving should fix that.


I got this result:


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...