Wednesday 22 August 2018

Calculating proportional area of polygon within another layer's polygon using QGIS?


I have two polygon layers, model and ntem, whose features overlap and intersect one another. I would like to calculate the proportion of the area of the model polygons which fit within each ntem polygon. Some model features fully fit within ntem features, others overlap multiple ntem features. Both layers are in CRS OSGB:1936.


model layer


ntem layer



both layers


For example, model feature 50209 falls partly in each of the three ntem features 2202, 2205, 2206 and I'd eventually like to know the proportion of 50209's area in each ntem area.


From initial research, I understand that the Vector > Geoprocessing Tools > Intersect function should do what I want, however I get a completely blank layer of results when I attempt this. (Shapefile is created, empty attribute table, no features!)


Can anyone either point out if I am doing something wrong and suggest an alternative method of achieving the area proportion calculation?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...