Friday 31 August 2018

cartography - Styling road maps with QGIS?


I am trying to design a beautiful map using QGIS. There is a similar question here Seeking QGIS tutorials and web resources? but I would like to focus on "designing a map using QGIS".


I was looking for some tools, style database or tutorials to guide me. How to use label classes, expressions, and annotations? helped me a lot and OSM seems to look great: 1, 2. However I need to use my own shapefiles. Also there is Quantumnik. It could be a great help, however it prints map on another tab and I need it to be on the same with my QGIS project.


I am looking for a way to design a beautiful looking road map using basic QGIS tools, any resources on that?



Answer



In Tomtom data for example, you have an attribute called frc that can be used to classify roads. The following setup will create a GoogleMaps-style roadmap with different styles for different zoom levels.


enter image description here


I've worked out a solution for Google-like labeling too, this time based on OSM data: http://underdark.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/guide-to-advanced-labeling-for-osm-roads/


enter image description here


More related posts:




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...