Thursday 22 March 2018

symbology - Changing marker shape based on a rule or column value in QGIS?


I am using QGIS 2.14.14. I am styling point markers in a layer that I imported using "Add Delimited Text Layer". I want to style the markers based on three properties:



  1. Color of marker relates to study name

  2. Size of marker relates to number of soil samples at that location


(I have successfully completed the first two requirements, especially with the help of this post: How to style points in QGIS based on multiple attributes).


I used a categorized style and made a color gradient to create the different colors for the studies, and I used the "size assistant" to change the size of the marker.


3. Shape of marker denotes if the soil samples were taken in "topsoil" or "other".


Specifically, I would like the shape to be a square if it's taken from "topsoil" and a circle if it's taken from "other".



I can not find a way to change the shape based on a condition or a certain value in my attributes table. I have tried making a column that's a whole number field and binary (1 for topsoil, 2 for other). I have also tried making a text field ("Topsoil" for topsoil and "Other" for other).


Does anyone know of a way to successfully combine these three formatting conditions? Specifically, does anyone know how to conditionally format a marker shape based on some attribute?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...