Saturday 17 March 2018

development - How to get started on a GIS Programming Career?



I am already working as GIS Consultant in UK. Being an engineering consultancy (not IT or GIS based) company there wasn't any need of GIS development in the organisation.


But due to some recent project requirements my company is trying to promote us towards GIS development.


So my question is that, which route should I progress my career, like: Python - C# - .Net
OR Java?


Quicker advice will be much appreciated as I am in India for my 3 weeks and have an opportunity to join some basic programming courses. Recent visit to the local computer institute, C# and .Net was the main stress.



Answer



If I had to focus my efforts on a single language, than I concur with Bill in that Python is probably the shortest learning curve and would give you the most bang for your training buck. It sounds like you have short term access to some training other than Python. The three languages that you mention above (Java, C#, VB.net) can all be used to accomplish similar results. Just pick one and dig in.


Personally, I would choose VB.net because my shop has a lot of in-house expertise and I'm fond of the warm fuzzy Visual Studio IDE. Those are the kinds of considerations that you ought to take into account when you choose your weapon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...