Saturday 31 December 2016

sql server - Choosing database for storing spatial data?



A couple of days ago I installed the demo of spatialware 4.9 from MapInfo into my SQL Server 2005 install and loaded all the larger dataset into it. I was quite impressed with the performance vs the old file based approach but it got me thinking what other options are out there and what are the pros and cons with them.


A con I would have to say with spatialware is the fact that it is $5000 p/a and only MapInfo can read the objects from it. Which at the moment is fine because MapInfo is all we use.


I'm wondering what other people have gone with and what their experiences are.



Answer



PostGIS based on PostgreSQL is a popular database for GIS.


I haven't used it much myself, but a pro is that it's open source and that many other GIS uses it so it have an active GIS community.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...