Friday 30 December 2016

arcgis desktop - Removing features whose labels are not displayed?


Using ArcMap 10.0, I am working on a map that shows many villages. Each village has a name attribute that I want to use for a label, but in some areas there are so many villages that not all can be labeled. I am using the Maplex label engine and have not checked the "Never Remove (allow overlap)" box.


I am quite happy that not all village names are displayed as this would be way too much. And it is ok that Maplex chooses which labels to display, as I have no way to know which village is more important than another one. This also means that I can't base the labeling on a field such as population or something else, even though that would be less random.


However, I would also like the village points that are not labeled to similarly not be displayed. I think it unlikely that someone would want to see the point without knowing the name of the village. If all points are shown, it is also difficult to tell which point a name label goes with in crowded areas. So instead of choosing just labels not to be shown, I also want the computer to chose features not to be shown.


To give you a better idea on what I mean:



To give you an idea


Is there a way to make these features/points not draw if their label is not shown?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...