Thursday 26 November 2015

arcgis 10.0 - Data organization strategies for .csv and .shp


I'm organizing a large amount of data for a project and the data is stored in .csv format, with a code to relate each row to a polygon in a .shp. I was planning on converting the .csv data into .dbf and importing it into a geodatabase, all using ESRI tools. Is this the best way of organizing such data? (The alternative I thought of was to join the .shp and the .csv and to export the data so I have a permanent link, but it seems like I would have a lot of duplicated data)


I'm interested in learning how best to improve my work flow and organize this data. I am planning on doing it all using ArcGIS 10 and using python where possible.



Answer



joining .csv to .shp will be slow. but the best way will be to append the converted .csv file to .dbf and merged based on a unique attribute. You should be able to use model builder to automate most of this. Finally convert the shapefile to file geodatabase.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...