Tuesday 25 August 2015

openstreetmap - Seeking OpenJump tool for point/node conflation/matching?


Are there any OpenJump tools for conflating (matching) two layers of point (node) data?



I'm particularly interested in using such a tool to sync data with OpenStreetMap, where I've created a wiki page on the subject of conflation. That page links to some university research projects on the conflation of vector datasets using OpenJUMP, however they don't share their work.


I know algorithmically this task shouldn't be that difficult especially compared to handling generic vectors, as it would simply use distance and similar properties along with some math, however I suppose I'm more interested in a graphical interface implemented in open source software.


I wrote up a possible workflow for conflating nodes here on the OSM wiki. I thought of trying to implement it in JOSM.


I think it might be useful to say what use cases I'd be interested in using this tool for.



  • Syncing Virginia interstate exit data from VDOT with OSM

  • Syncing GNIS feature points with OSM


After an extension to conflate polygons (using their centroids), the tool could also be used for:




  • Transferring properties (tags, attributes) between nodes representing a house along with addressing data to a polygon (area, closed way) of the actual building


I'm sure there are many other possibilities, but these are the few I'm planning to use it for.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...