Monday 27 July 2015

Importing KML and style information into Geoserver


So I'm working on a project that's been in development for over a year, but I only recently got involved. My task involves converting roughly 2,500 KML files into another format, importing these files into a Geoserver, and then copying over the associated style information for each file. I realize that Geoserver allows you to import KML files directly, however, our files never seem to render correctly, and my boss would like to move away from KML format for philosophical reasons.


Using ogr2ogr, I've tried to convert these files into ESRI Shapefiles, however the conversion process only worked on roughly a third of the files and erased some of the metadata called for in the style information. The files that didn't convert code for polygons and points, which I've read can be an error for other programs like QGIS.


I've also tried to put all of the KML files into a PostGIS database and convert them like that. However, that seems to delete all of the data leaving essentially blank tables for import.



TL;DR I need to find a way to convert 2,500 KML files into a format usable by Geoserver, and will work with XML style information. I'm a complete GIS noob and this is my first time posting, so I'm sorry if this seems a bit ridiculous.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...