Sunday 26 July 2015

cartography - Can I reproduce this classic cartographic hillshade relief effect (hachures) electronically using modern DEM data?


I own a number of old cetral-European maps and I always liked the classic hand-drawn cartographic hillshade relief presentation that these maps feature. I am not wanting to reproduce the shading (which is similar to swiss shading) but the accompanying lines. These are not contours but rather down-slope "gradient" lines that (often with a degree of imagination) create a hillshade effect. I don't have my maps on me right now so I can't scan a good detailed example of this but I found some examples online. As far as I know, and at least in Czechoslovakia, these types of maps were being produced up until the second world war. I would like to produce some modern maps with an old feel and featuring this type of effect. Is there any way that this could be done in a modern GIS (Preferably ArcGIS) using an existing DEM? Illustrator or Photoshop solution would also be acceptable.



Not a part of the question but I would also be interested to find out: What is this particular hillshading called? Where could I get some more information about how it was done and what rules it adheres to?


enter image description here


enter image description here




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...