Friday 29 May 2015

dem - Retrieving average building height in urban areas?


I am looking for a way to collect data on the height profile of some cities over time. I don't need to produce a detailed 3D reconstruction of cities, nor do I need to detect and measure individual buildings. I would simply need a coarse proxy of how "vertical" a city is - for instance, average building height, or maximum height.


I have in mind a few possible options but I'm not sure how involved they are and what kind of software can do this:





  • Look at the difference between a DSM and a DTM - I am still looking into possible sources (ASTER?)




  • LiDAR data




  • Stereo imagery (e.g. IKONOS)





  • Retrieving building height from shadows – I think even an ArcGis extension does this, but this is not automated and would require a building by building process.




I was told that software such as Socet Gxp, Leica LPS/XPro, and Pixel Factory can generate height data from satellite imagery automatically. Has anyone heard of those or know of any open source alternatives?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...