Thursday 25 July 2019

Replacing ArcPy with ArcGIS API for Python?


Today I found out about the ArcGIS API for Python. I was wondering if you could use this to (eventually) replace ArcPy?


Recently I have been doing analyses that require cloud based solutions. When using AWS, Docker and Jupyter it is very convenient to stick with a Unix based OS such as Ubuntu. However, the Unix alternatives for ArcGIS have their own limitations as well such as the always hard to install python bindings for the GDAL library. ArcGIS for Python operates cross platform.


Perhaps there are the things I should and should not expect from the ArcGIS API for Python.


Perhaps Arcpy is going to disappear altogether.


API in action




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...