Monday 22 July 2019

Creating a custom OpenStreetMap tile server


I'd like to create a map tile server based on the entire OSM planet database for a project I'm working on. I've worked with a couple of guides to try getting something up and running, but haven't found too many comprehensive resources that walk through this process from start to finish.



My requirements so far:



  • Linux-based (I'd prefer 10.04, but am open to anything)

  • Tile rendering using Mapnik

  • The ability to customize the cartography and symbolization to my needs (Quantumnik or Cascadenik seem like good tools for this)


I'd really like to have good custom basemap cartography for some internal apps we're building and I figured this would be a good place to start. Anyone know of any good guides / resources to building this out? I'd prefer step-by-step explanatory stuff, as opposed to just the documentation for each of the components...



Answer



The following thread may answer your question: How would I draw and visualize custom maps based on OSM data?


It includes info on rolling your own data, tile drawer tools, mapnik, etc. The threads refers to the following link which sounds particularly appropriate to your question: "Build your own OpenStreetMap Server" http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server It uses an Ubuntu 10.04 / PostGIS / Mapnik stack.



No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...