Wednesday 22 May 2019

pyqgis - Understanding QGIS API documentation



Is there an introduction or guidelines how to read the QGIS API documentation?


For example, I want to write a vector layer. A quick search brings me to the API documentation page of QgsVectorFileWriter.


This is a very long page with an inheritence diagram, different classes, public classes, public membership functions,... but I don't fully understand what this means.


I can figure out that I need the QgsVectorFileWriter::QgsVectorFileWriter function, but also in this part I have some questions:



  • here are three identical(?) functions listed?

  • which variables are mandatory and which are optional?


I've found some useful resources on pyqgis at:




but afaik these resources don't give a gentle introduction on how to read the API docs.


I think understanding how to read the API documentation would really help me to write my own code rather than searching for examples.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...