Tuesday 30 April 2019

open source gis - Field data collection for QGIS?



I'm new to the open-source GIS world, having abandoned ArcGIS due to costs, and am looking for an OS analog to the Collector app. What I'm seeking to do is collect field data with an Android cell phone (namely points, tracks, polygons to which I can assign some attributes) and import it into QGIS, like I'd have done with Collector and Arc. I've toyed with NextGIS, GeoODK Collect, and QField but they seem crazy confusing to a noob like myself.


Any hints or recommended starting points?


I can get basic GPX data from any old mapping app but I'm looking for something more robust and scalable.


UPDATE: I've gotten QField to the point where I can create an informative map in QGIS and upload it to my phone; the issue now is figuring out how to record GPS tracks and the like. I'm finding the clunky interface (and online documentation) a bit lacking. I gather I can simply draw polygons and lines, but that's not nearly as helpful as being able to log my GPS track. I need this functionality to map logging roads/trails. Any ideas?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...