Saturday 18 November 2017

arcgis desktop - Geographic Transformations in Alaska Between NAD83 and WGS84


I have done a ton of research on the most accurate transformation to use in mainland Alaska to convert between the NAD83 and WGS84 datums, but I just can't seem to find a definitive answer.


ArcMap gives 3 options for my area of interest:



  1. WGS_1984_(ITRF00)_To_NAD_1983

    • This one I am really unsure of and I have not found much information on when it should be used. I know it has something to do with epochs or realizations of datums, but I am in over my head on this one. Can someone please enlighten me?



  2. NAD_1983_To_WGS_1984_5


    • This is the one I think might be most applicable, but I am unable to find any definitive information to say whether or not it should be used for Alaska.

    • Esri says it is applicable for Alaska, but I can't find confirmation of this anywhere else

    • EPSG doesn't list this transformation when I search with coordinates in Alaska (or at all for that matter)



  3. NAD_1983_To_WGS_1984_1

    • I am fairly certain that this is a "null" transformation that doesn't actually do anything, and would therefore be least accurate. Especially in Alaska where everything shifts with time.





I should also note that we are using NAD83 (NSRS 2007) in our geodatabase and converting GPS survey data from WGS84 to NAD83 (NSRS 2007) with a custom transformation developed by a geodesist for our area of interest which shifts everything by a meter or so in x and y (the Esri transformation for this is a null transformation that doesn't actually do anything). What I am trying to do is load legacy/reference data that is currently in NAD83 by first transforming to WGS84 (my question here) and then transforming to NAD83 (NSRS 2007) via our custom transformation.


I need to define a definitive procedure for the project team to follow and it will be used on potentially hundreds of layers so I need to get it right.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...