Thursday 28 September 2017

ArcGIS median value from layer?


I've been hunting around ArcGIS 9.3 and having no success at finding a tool/function that can give me the median (not the mean/avg) tabular value of a spatial database. For example, if I have a data layer of mountain peaks, I would like to be able to determine the elevation of #35 of 70 mountain peaks that exist within a county.


Conceptually it should be pretty easy. Count the total records, sort by elevation ascending, get the value from the elevation field for record # (count/2). Would I need to script this out in Python, or am I missing something obvious that would allow me get this more quickly? I find it hard to believe no one else has had a need for this function and created a solution.


To add some complexity to the matter, what if I wanted the median elev value for peaks in every county within the state in a single table? Basically the same output format as Frequency or Summary Statistics tools when using the Case Field option.




I was able to adapt the script linked by @VietThanh Le to meet my needs. I have posted the updated script and ArcToolbox at: http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geoprocessing/details?entryID=A0CD1751-1422-2418-882E-001EE0DC0D35



Answer



I found a python script called Calculate Median Value in ArcScripts, but I have not tried it:




This script tool calculates the median value of one entire field and posts that single median value to every row in one other entire field.



No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...