Tuesday 19 September 2017

arcgis desktop - Automating a Python expression to calculate acres


I'm not new to GIS but very, very new to using Python and using scripts. I successfully use a Python expression !shape.area@acres! to update a field with acres in a feature class.


What my users would like is a tool they can put on their toolbar to see the calculated acres when they select a polygon feature. We had this tool in 9.3 but obviously doesn't work in 10. I am using Desktop 10.2 Advanced.


Is there some way to create this as a button so that users can add this "tool." I'm just not sure if I should be looking at ModelBuilder, geoprocessing tools, or add-ins? I just don't want my user to have to load this expression every time they want to use it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...