Thursday 22 September 2016

arcgis desktop - Tracklogs to single line OR several lines to one line?



Setting:


I have several trucks driving out of my factory delivering goods and coming back for more deliveries. These trucks are equipped with GPS so that they may return tracklogs to me. These tracklogs are in table format, so it is not hard for me to convert the logs to point shapes or line shapes. But after, say, a month I will have so many overlapping logs, it makes no sense to look at. Therefore I would like to "merge" all the roads together into one where ever they are close to each other. I would also like an attribute which tells me how many times each section has been driven. Finally I want to be able to add new tracklogs to the final result.


Link to image: http://postimage.org/image/1g1sfdnz8/


Tested:


I have tried using the "Merge Divided Roads (Cartography)" tool, but it does not give me the result i want. When using the "Merge Divided Roads (Cartography)" tool, it manages to merge the beginning of the roads, but as soon as they cross paths, it will not merge anymore. (I am guessing this has something to do with the tool being optimized for road networks and all I have are shape files.)


This is practically what "Merge Divided Roads (Cartography)" tool gives me:


Link to image: http://postimage.org/image/1g20p2eg4/


Questions:



  1. Anybody know how to get two or more lines to become one line where they are close and almost parallel?


  2. Would you also know how to get the count of how many times a section of the road has been driven?


Information:


I am using ArcGIS 10 with ArcInfo + some extensions




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...