Saturday 26 October 2019

Manually add lat and lon to ArcGIS Interactive Rematch


I have a spreadsheet full of addresses to geocode in ArcMap 10. I've added the spreadsheet to the map, then started to geocode them via the context menu's "Geocode addresses" item. Many were matched automatically, and most of the unmatched I've been able to resolve within the Interactive Rematch dialog. But I have a handful of addresses where I get no result at all.



I can, however, locate these points on Google Maps, and I can get the latitude and longitude that way. How can I enter that data into the table to locate the missing points? I have tried editing the data and putting the lat/lon values into the X and Y columns, (via Edit Features -> Start Editing, then Open Attribute Table on the context menu). But when I Flash the point, I don't see it. The lat & lon are consistent with the other data points on the map (i.e., not swapped, and using the correct sign).


How can I add the points to the table?



Answer



The process of geocoding actually creates a point geometry. The unmatched records have no geometry, so if you just edit the attributes there is nothing to flash. There is a tool/button in the geocoding window to manually place a point. See this help page - about halfway down is Pick Address from Map, which is what you'd want.


Alternatively, you need to either use the create feature tool and right-click/enter absolute value to create a point (with a common attribute) for the record to be matched to, or create an X,Y event layer out of your unmatched records and then replace/update the records in your original dataset.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...