Friday 25 October 2019

coordinate system - QGIS display does not reflect projection


I have slight experience with ArcGIS, but am new to QGIS.


I'm trying to set the projection of my map, and I understand that this is done by altering the CRS (coordinate reference system) of each layer and/or the entire project.


When I right click a layer and select "Change Layer CRS", however, the visual representation of the map (the distortion) does not reflect the selected projection. My world map looks like it has a Robinson (or similar) projection, even if I select a Mercator CRS. The EPSG code in the lower right corner changes, as do the coordinates.


Example image - Mercator CRS


Setting the project CRS to the same projection does not help, nor does enabling on-the-fly projection.


My goal is to export the map to SVG, so the visual distortions are important.



Am I doing something wrong?



Answer



Please do not change the CRS of the layers. This will make your data unusable.


Instead enable On-the-fly-projection, and change the project CRS to your needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...