Tuesday 22 October 2019

arcgis desktop - Recalculating full extent of File Geodatabase feature class?



I have a featureclass in an Esri file geodatabase. When I edit the features using the editor in ArcMap, and I delete most of my features and keeping only the ones in the middle, the zoom to layer command doesn't work as expected. Instead of zooming to the extent of the features remaining in the feature class, the extent will be the former one (containing all deleted features). When reviewing the extent values in the properties dialog for the feature class, I can clearly see the old values. So the edit session doesn't seem to alter the full extent values.


Is there a way to recalculate these values?


I am pretty sure that this problem should occur to everyone editing features in ArcMap...



Answer



Esri now has a tool for this in 10.4 (hooray): Recalculate Feature Class Extent.


I was running into this issue when I was creating a feature class and writing geometry into it with arcpy. Apparently those tools do not update the extent (probably a good idea for performance reasons).


I have been successful resetting the extent in 10.2.2 with @Lou 's suggestion:


arcpy.CompressFileGeodatabaseData_management(output_workspace)
arcpy.UncompressFileGeodatabaseData_management(output_workspace)

No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...