Thursday 13 July 2017

rendering - Is there a way to render lines with a smooth (bezier) curves in QGIS?


I am moving from creating maps with Illustrator to making them with QGIS and actual data. One of the things I haven't been able to re-create in QGIS are the smooth curved lines I can get in Illustrator. I am not talking about Join and Cap Styles, but how an entire line is rendered.


I am looking for an answer that doesn't include exporting as SVG to Illustrator and finishing the map there.


Also, I realize they could be considered an inaccurate representation but, for the most part, these maps are for giving riders an idea of where they are and don't necessarily have to be an exact representation.



Here is an example of what I mean: enter image description here



Answer



Check out the Generalizer plugin, it should do what you want. The plugin has smoothing options which work quite well.


It doesn't change how your lines are rendered but instead makes a new shapefile with smoothing (or simplification/generalization) applied.


enter image description here


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...