Thursday 31 March 2016

watershed - Does the common flow accumulation techniques still work over flat area?



My terrain is a highly developed area--which means that



  1. It involves lots of flat area ( gradient=0) because they have been properly paved.

  2. And it involves sudden drop, such as retaining wall, or drain drop.


These two features make me wonder whether the usual flow accumulation algorithms ( like D8) can actually work on such terrain?


I want to do streamline analysis on it, but I am quite unsure whether the usual flow accumulation algorithms ( like D8) can actually work on such terrain? Or, as my previous question frames it, is there any open source flow accumulation algorithm in C++/C# on Windows that handles these features nicely?


Note: I would have to conduct watershed analysis at modelling stage ( because we need to study the waterflow path even before the development begins, to avoid flooding at unwanted area), which means that the DEM is based on my modelling and not something out there on the actual terrain (yet).




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...