Monday 20 April 2015

python - Gdal: clipping a raster with another raster



I'm writing a simple utility to crop batches of multi-band geotiff raster files to the same (smaller) area. Using gdalwarp, I can easily crop a file using a single-polygon clipping shapefile:


gdalwarp -cutline clipper.shp -crop_to_cutline input.tif output.tif

However, the actual area I want to clip to will always be initially defined by another geotiff raster file, not a shapefile. It would be nice if I could use the extent of that raster as the clipping file, but I'm not sure how to do this. Unsurprisingly, the following doesn't work (it doesn't raise an error, it just doesn't produce anything):


gdalwarp -cutline clipper.tif-crop_to_cutline input.tif output.tif

So, my question is, is there a way to supply a raster to gdalwarp -cutline? Alternately, is there another gdal function that can clip a raster using another raster? If neither of these are possible, is there a very simple way to produce a shapefile with a single polygon defined by the extent of a raster?


This code will be wrapped in a more extensive python script, so I can use either command line gdal utilities or any of the python bindings for gdal.


As a side note, I know that I could easily just make a clipping shapefile that covers the extent of my raster in QGIS. I may wind up doing that if I don't find a straightforward solution, but I will ultimately wind up using this utility on dozens if not hundreds of areas as part of a large automated analysis, so I'd prefer not to have a tedious manual step even if it is very easy.



Answer




I don't know if it's possible to clip a raster with an other raster but you could use gdaltindex to build the shapefile with the extent of your raster.


http://www.gdal.org/gdaltindex.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...