Saturday 25 April 2015

land survey - Landscape software to analyze amount of dirt moved


I'm about to embark upon a design project for re-contouring landscape around my home. Assuming I get an accurate measurement of the landscape into the computer, and after I modify the landscape model to represent the proposed result, I want to produce the 'diff':



  • A visual representation showing the volumes where dirt needs to be removed.


  • A visual representation showing the volumes where dirt needs to be added.

  • A report of the actual volume of dirt being moved (the sums of those volumes).

  • A report of the delta (+/- of dirt that will be needed, or will need to be removed).


What software exists that can produce this report for me? I will prefer inexpensive software and software that is easy to learn quickly, but will accept any that meets the above criteria.



Answer



AutoCAD Civil 3d is the software that I use for cut and fill jobs. Once you create a surface as a triangulated irregular network (TIN) that represents the existing ground, and another one that represents your desired surface, it will tell you how much dirt you need to move. It is available as a free trial from AutoDesk. I believe that the only restrictions on the trial is a time limit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...