Monday 20 April 2015

Exporting 3GB ArcGIS Raster to KML without losing resolution?


I have a 3GB raster layer, and I'd like to export it to KML for use with Google Earth.


When I use the "Layer to KML" conversion tool in ArcMap, I end up with a low-resolution overlay: looks like one 2000x2000 pixel image (give or take). I've tried messing with the "layer output scale" parameter, but it isn't having any effect.



Answer



I see two possible options:




  1. Use Google Earth Pro to directly load the raster assuming it is in a supported file format. See Importing Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data in Google Earth





  2. Google Earth supports "super overlays" through the use of Region and NetworkLink elements which allows you to display a multi-megapixel image by subsetting it into tiles. KMLer Pro ($50) is an ArcGIS extension that purports to be able to create super overlays directly from ArcGIS maps. There are also several non-ArcGIS tools such as MapTiler, TileCache, and SuperOverlay (related to KMLer).




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...