Thursday 18 February 2016

geoprocessing - Is there a Free Aggregate Points tool out there for ArcGIS 10?


I need to do some Getis-Ord analysis but first I need to aggregate my points. I know of XToolsPro, but the aggregate points function is locked and you must purchase a license to use it. I am wondering if there is a free tool out there, or a workaround in ArcMap that I am missing to aggregate points.


Some context: What I have are over 8,000 points, many of which have different attributes, but may share the same (approximate) geospatial location. For this analysis, I just need to aggregate any points overlapping one another based upon a field containing a numeric value to be summed. For example:


Point A overlaps Point B and Point C.  
Point A field value = 1.4
Point B = 2.4, and
Point C = 5.2.

The Aggregate of points A,B, and C would return point D with a value of 9.0



I hope this makes sense. Maybe I could get away with using something really basic but just haven't pieced it together yet. Any help you can offer would be appreciated!



Answer



ArcGIS v10 will do this. First run "Add XY coordinates". Then run Dissolve, select Point_X and Point_Y as the dissolve fields, add a statistics field, Sum. I just tested it on overlapping Points. The output has a single Point at each overlap location while the numeric field is summed, for that location.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...