Saturday 19 May 2018

qgis - How to calculate distances in a point sequence?


I'm looking for help calculating the distance between a sequence of points that are in a single Shapefile in QGIS. Below is what my data look like and a blank distance column I've added to show how I'd like the distance to look. I want to know the distance between point 1 and 2, 2 and 3, etc. I'd like distance to be in meters or Km, but currently my Shapefile is in a projection whose units are decimal degrees.


ID  LAT         LON         TIME        DISTANCE
1 10.08527 124.59833 21:24:37 0
2 10.08523 124.59830 21:25:07 ?
3 10.08526 124.59832 21:25:37 ?
4 10.08526 124.59831 21:26:07 ?


A number of people have asked similar questions, but none quite get at what I want to do. This post is close, but this is in PostGIS, not QGIS Calculate distances between series of points in postgis


This post got me part of the way there, but since I'm new to QGIS the answer doesn't provide enough detail for me. For example, once I've installed the GRASS plugin, I think I need to save/import the Shapefile with my series of GPS points into GRASS so I can use the v.distance module, but I don't know how to do that. QGIS calculate distance of point along a line


Is the GRASS v.distance module the only way to go? Or is there a more straight forward way? If v.distance is the only way would someone be able to point me to or explain more step-by-step how to do this?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...